It’s the fall season! A time of colorful leaves, cooler weather and plenty of pumpkins! This creates new opportunities for families to get together and plan activities during this fall season. As I mentioned during a previous post, Wholesome Summer Activities For Families, finding Godly activities to do as a family that are fun and budget-friendly, may be difficult. However, I promise you that the effort is worth it! Not only will you gain the reward of drawing closer together as a family but also enjoy a stronger relationship with God.
What Should You Keep in Mind When Choosing Recreational Activities This Fall? (1 Corinthians 10:31)
Whether you choose to pick pumpkins with your children, carve them and roast the seeds or make hot apple cider as the weather cools, keep in mind the principle in 1st Corinthians chapter 10 verse 31:
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God. (Christian Standard Bible)
Why is this bible principle so important? The reason is that our choice of entertainment can affect our relationship with God. You don’t want something as simple as choosing recreation to hinder your spiritual progress.
Ideas for Fall Activities
Living in The Bahamas, the weather still feels like summer. In other words, it is still very hot! For the most part, our fall activities are the same as our summer activities. For those who are still trying to beat the heat, I will list activities suited for warmer weather as well.
This list also includes activities for those of you who are starting to bring out your light sweaters and jackets. (My sweaters won’t come out of the closet for months 😭)
I have divided these into two categories: indoor and outdoor activities. The lists include many free fall activities for kids to enjoy as well.
Fall Indoor Activities
Depending on where you live, it may be too cold, too hot or too rainy to spend as much time outside. The following activities are suited for families looking for activities to do right in your home:
- Leaf Projects. This activity combines being outdoors (but only for a short while) and indoors. Once you collect your colorful fall leaves, you can get creative and paste them in craft books. You can also decorate them with glitter, paint your names on them and give away as gifts or keep as a memento. For more ideas, check out these “30 Gorgeous Ways to Craft with Fall Leaves” by the Country Living Staff.
- DIY Projects. Like the leaf projects, you can find anything outside to use for indoor craft projects. You can make a bird feeder using collected pine cones. You can learn how to knit. If you live near a beach, you can collect shells and decorate items you have at home. This can include picture or mirror frames, books, toys or items you can give away as gifts such as decorated mason jars.
- Cooking Together. Cooking together can be a fun activity, especially for younger children. Warning: it can get messy, but you will have fun! Don’t forget to try out new hot apple cider and pumpkin recipes! If you need some ideas on how to plan a meal within your budget, you can look at this helpful planner called Meal Planning Made Easy by money savings expert, Caroline Vencil. It is on sale and includes the following:
- Easy way to save money on your groceries
- Full-color meal planning guide
- Full-color shopping list
- Easy tracking for your favorite recipes
- Easy to use design
- Perfect for people who hate meal planning!
- Can be printed and used again and again
- Looks awesome in full-color but can also be printed easily in black and white
- Indoor Movie Night. Keeping in mind the scripture in Corinthians quoted above, you can select movies for your family that gives God glory. The fun part is that you can make as much noise and eat anything you want since it’s YOUR movie theatre!
- Borrow Books from the Library. This is a great opportunity to support your local library and have a quiet time at home. Each member of the family can either read a different book, or you can read the same book and discuss together.
- Pumpkin Activities. This is a mixture of some activities mentioned above. Picking pumpkins is a fun outdoor activity but you can bring them inside and be imaginative with what you carve into them. There are also many pumpkin recipes that you can try, from roasting pumpkin seeds to baking pumpkin pie. There are also pumpkin crafts that the entire family can create together. You can find more ideas in Easy Peasy and Fun’s post on “Pumpkin Crafts and Activities for Kids” by Andreja.
- Games Galore. Whether you play board games or card games, charades or video games, have fun and enjoy spending time with family and friends.
What other indoor activities do you and your family engage in during the fall season? Feel free to share in the comments below!
Outdoor Fall Activities
Depending on the weather outside, there are many wholesome activities you can do as a family outside. Whether you want to enjoy the cooler weather or cool down from the heat, the following activities are for you:
- Picking Leaves. This goes back to the indoor activity of using the leaves for craft projects. However, going outside and choosing the beautiful multicolored leaves are a HUGE part of the fun!
- Picking Apples or Pumpkins. Grab your basket and head outside to pick yummy apples for apple cider or apple pies. You can also check out the pumpkin patches near you. Suggestions as to what you can do with the pumpkins are found above under the indoor activities.
- Go Swimming. If the weather is still hot where you are, you can plan trips to a nearby lake, pool or head to the beach. If it is cooler where you are, you can go to a heated pool and go swimming as well.
- Theme Parks/Fall Festivals. This time of year brings out traveling carnivals and festivals that you can attend with family and friends. Enjoy the lights, shows, food, ride and games.
- Play Football/Attend a Game. You can decide to organize a friendly game of football in your backyard with neighbors and friends. Or you can tailgate at your local football game.
- Plant a Garden. Now is a great time to plant bulbs in your garden to be ready for next spring.
- Go for a Drive. You can plan a drive with your family and enjoy the beautiful sights. Don’t forget to pack and picnic with blankets!
- Backyard Activities. These can range from playing games outside, pulling out the grill and having a party with family and friends or something as simple as jumping in a pile of leaves.
- Visit Your Local Farmer’s Market. You can check out the fall fruits and vegetables as well as support your local farmers.
There are other outdoor activities you can appreciate with your family this fall. What outdoor activities do you participate in during the fall season? Don’t forget to share in the comments below!
Savor This Fall Season with Family and God!
Whether you spend your time this fall indoors or out, get the entire family involved. Most of the activities listed are easy, fun and free!
Keep in mind that whatever activities you choose, you want to make sure it has God’s approval. This will strengthen your relationship with Him as it brings your family together.